Sunday, September 14, 2008

Let's Get Down to Business to Defeat the Huns!

If you've ever seen the Disney movie "Mulan" you know what I'm talking about. Mulan pretends to be a boy so she can fight in the Imperial Army to save China from the Huns. Jared has encapsulated the entire movie in his new thrill...The Huns Game. The very minute Scott and the girls leave in the morning Jared rushes to me and asks if I want to play "The Huns" with him. And then he wants to play again and again and again. The basic premise is that we are the good guys and the invisible Huns are the bad guys. We use are homemade weapons--and they are not a few--to fight them. Our weapon supply is what I like the most. In this picture you see Jared with a belt (otherwise known as our "lucky, lucky lasso"), a potato masher, wire whisk, part of a rescue hero backpack used to shoot fire and a remote control in his pocket that can make us fly or cause an avalanche. Not pictured, but very much a part of our artillery is a wooden train track (known as our 'fire tropie"). Obviously this can shoot fire as well. Jared also constructed shooting guns from our Discovery Toys Marble Works game. We don't have any play guns or swords in our house, but that hasn't stopped Jared.
Ellie is in on the fun as well. This is Ellie pointing her potato masher at our enemy and making the "Pcheww" noise of her weapon as she uses it. She makes this same noise every time she holds one of the wooden train tracks. She will probably always be confused on the intended purpose of these objects. She loves the thrill of hiding at the top of the stairs or running into a closet to hide, and she is very cognizant of keeping our hideouts secret...she talks in whispers just like Jared and I do.


8 comments:

Andy Porter said...

The Hun don't stand a chance. I love the weaponry. You guys are so creative.

Shannon E. said...

How cute! The "weapons" your kids use reminds me so much of my own kids, especially Carter. He is always running around the house with one of my kitchen utensils, I even find them stuffed in my couches! What a fun memory!

Valerie said...

You're a fun mom to entertain Jared with such creative games!

P.S. Sorry about you not getting the email about Ben's blog. I fixed that today-my mistake!

Logan St Journal said...

So fun! What a great memory and something you will never want to forget about your sweet boy

The Watkins said...

You are so much fun. And those weapons are hilarious. It seems like boys always find a way to use 'weapons' even if you try so hard to keep them out of the house.

Kathy said...

I'm Dying laughing. Defeat the Huns!!
Love you guys

Brown Family said...

What a cutie! Love the potato smasher as a weapon! What a good mom you are Sarah. Very creative!

Sharee Gariety said...

I hope those Huns are scared. They surely can't come up with a weapon that will top (duh-duh-DUUUUUH) the POTATO MASHER.