Thursday, September 4, 2008

Plagued with Pink Eye and Washing Sheets

Every year my family seems to be plagued with pink eye. I'll take pink eye over the many other serious illnesses we could have, but it is a PAIN! First of all, it's annoying to take the kids to the doctor for them to tell me it's pink eye, when I already knew that but just need a prescription. Secondly, it is SO hard to contain to one set of eyes! I have antibacterial hand gel in several parts of the house and have the kids put it on every time they pass it, but it still jumps through the family. Scott thinks it's because my kids have
big "targets." Thirdly, I am sick of washing sheets and pillowcases!

Jared woke up with pink eye first. I started him on antibiotics and washed all the sheets on his bed and my bed since he ALWAYS ends up in my bed at some time in the night. The next day Ellie woke up with pink eye so I washed her sheets and blankets. After 24 hours of the antibiotic the redness and goop usually clears so I washed their sheets one more time to insure they don't re-infect themselves. I thought we were in the clear...Kaitlyn and Brynn have scathed by without contracting it. But then Scott woke up with it today! Here I am again...washing sheets and pillowcases. Hopefully the saga ends with this...but my eyes feel a little itchy!


5 comments:

Andy Porter said...

Bummer!! Hopefully the rest of you will be able to avoid it. I'm with you on the whole prescription thing. My friends Dr. will let her just call in when she needs eye drops. I'm so jealous.

Hannah said...

That picture is grossing me out!

Ben Porter said...

I blame it on all the antibacterial gel - seriously. It should only be used occasionally. Constant use deprives your body from accessing the small doses of bacteria that will help build your immune system. Plus, the widespread use could be making the bacteria stronger (the same way not finishing the full antibiotic prescription breeds resistant bacteria), and that would be bad!

Kathy said...

What picture?

Hannah said...

how wierd! There used to be a super up close picture of somebody's nasty pink eye. I guess Sarah thought better of it.