Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I Have a Dream Fort


Since the kids had Martin Luther King, Jr. Day off of school they BEGGED me to let them build a fort and sleep in it.  I've let them do this before.  I know exactly what it entails--a huge mess, a brood of tired kids the next day, and a ton of fun!  I figured if Martin Luther King, Jr. could have a dream--I shouldn't squash my kids dream, so I caved.  It was all the things I expected.  Scott help them build it big enough that all the kids could fit under it.


Every blanket and pillow in the house succumbed to the pressure...not to mention the sleeping bags, flashlights, headlamp and lantern. 


The kids stayed up way to late...Ellie finally gave up and went to her own bed after awhile.  At three in the morning I heard my name being yelled--someone had apparently stepped on everyone else as they made a bathroom run. 

But the next morning, we huddled under their fort and read Percy Jackson together, and later I heard a few of the kids say in their prayers that they were grateful that mom let them sleep in their fort. And that made the ginormous mess all worth it.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

Your kids have one awesome mom! Keep letting them dream!

Andy Porter said...

That is so cool. They are lucky kids!

Kim Breinholt said...

You are SUCH a nice mom!

Hannah said...

I missed this post, somehow. Cute! I bet they loved that!