Thursday, January 24, 2008

What's for Dinner?!?!


One of the hardest things for me is figuring out what we’re going to eat for dinner every night. I mean, really, do we have to eat every day?! I tried to convince Scott that maybe we could adopt the lifestyle of my sister and brother-in-law—I’m not really sure what they eat, but I know they don’t spend a lot of time making anything. Scott didn’t buy in to it, but he did buy some mini-tacos at Costco for us to eat one night. I was at a birthday party with the kids so he got home from work and heated them up in the oven. That night he said he didn’t feel too good—“his dinner had made him feel like a single guy again.” I cracked up! One night of something not “home cooked” and he thought he was going to die. I told him he was spoiled and he agreed.

I actually like cooking, I have just fallen into the rut of fixing the same several meals over and over. When I started looking through my recipes I found meal ideas I had forgotten for some reason. So how do you like my solution? I’ve never planned my meals—always too hard I thought. Now with my handy calendar I have every meal I could find that we liked and even have “leftovers” and “New Recipes” so I can plan making new things. Everything is attached with velcro so I can move it around and around and around. Now we don’t have to eat crockpot Italian chicken every night! I probably will plan week-to-week since (if you know me well) you know I despise paying full price for anything—especially at the grocery store! I will plan my meals on Tues. night since I get the grocery store ads on Tues. Maybe I can even start going to the grocery store once a week! I hope it works!

8 comments:

Hannah said...

Your calendar is so cute! I need to do that too. Also, the font looks lots better. And, way to go blogging again so soon!

Betsy said...

Are you referring to me and Russell? Here's how it works--I don't like to cook and Russell doesn't like to eat. Neither of us like spending money on food, so I cook dinner for the sole purpose of having leftovers for Russell to take for lunch so he doesn't have to buy lunch in the city. I do cook most nights, just nothing fancy (a lot of chicken and rice, potatoes, burritos, crockpot meals, etc.). It's worked well so far.

Russell said...

Funny thing about Betsy cooking all that stuff--she says it's nothing fancy but I sure think it is. And since I don't really care about eating, I'd probably be almost as happy with unsweetened oatmeal most meals. I just read that some non-profit organization in Darfur was spending $500 million to feed 2 million people for a year. That means they're only spending $250 to feed a person for a year! I need to figure out where they shop. I'm pretty jealous since Betsy and I way overshoot that, spending nearly $750 per year on each person who eats. Somehow we're going to find a way to cut back on our grocery budget.

Ben Porter said...

$250 a year is easy - eat only unsweetened oatmeal. It's even cheaper if you grow the oats yourself. It's even easier if you steal them from a horse.
Sarah, good luck planing your meals. Valerie tries to plan a week at a time too. It definitely helps with the shopping. The only problem is you may find yourself not in the mood to make what you had planned - so you switch things around and eventually you end up eating things you didn't really plan for. We have several standbys that we always eat, but they may be different than what you guys eat. We should share recipes! Or better yet - post recipes on your blog!!

Valerie said...

I love your calender and was even thinking the other day that I need to try new recipes. I think you are a great mom!

Andy Porter said...

Russ, If you shop at the nps store you could eat at a fraction of that cost, of course you would have to shop there everyday and eat what you buy as soon as you get home, or even on your way home so you don't let the food get any older than it actually is.
Nice post Sarah.

Abby Marie said...

wow, I honestly have never felt so excited about cooking meals! What a good idea! You have earned your place on my blog. I'm finally going to put you in my shortcut/link to other blogs list! Love ya sarah!

Brown Family said...

How cute almost the whole Porter fam with their comments. I feel like I am intruding in some secret club. :) Anyways, what a cute calendar. Hope it helps you with staying out of your cooking rut. Sean would be quite content to have the same things to eat every night. BORING!! I love to try new recipes and have fun! If I find some good recipes I will pass them your way. :)