Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Hiking Emergency Survival













Last Saturday was a warmer, sunny day so we took advantage of the nice weather and went hiking in the Sandia Mountains near our home. We never have any particular destination. Scott usually just drives around toward the mountains, and when we find a good spot to park our van close to the mountain we get out and start walking. We all love it!

One of the most entertaining parts of an excursion like this one, is the preparations made by the girls. They run around the house, filling Ziploc bags with cereal, pretzels, crackers--whatever they can find that seems to fit nicely in their bag. Then they fill several bottles of water. My favorite though is the bag filled with band-aids, and on Saturday I overheard Kaitlyn asking Brynn if she had the tweezers. When I asked what the tweezers were for they looked at me incredulously--as if I didn't know they were one of the most essential elements of emergency survival in the desert--to pick out cactus needles should they embed themselves in any part of the body! You see, the first hike we went on after we moved here Brynn fell directly on top of a cactus. Ouch! She has never forgotten it, and now is terrified it might happen again. Therefore, the need for tweezers.

Scott wanted Brynn to stand uncomfortably close (as you can tell from Brynn's concerned smile) to this large cactus.







Ellie's too young to fear cactus needles, but I'm sure her sisters will teach her quickly!

7 comments:

Hannah said...

Cute, Sarah! I think that's really smart- I would be packing tweezers too. It looks like there are cacti (right?) everywhere!And, look, you brought your camera with you on the hike!

Andy Porter said...

That is last Saturday for you guys?? I am so jealous. We have about 2 feet of snow in our front yard right now. It is crazy cold. Do you guys want to trade houses for a couple months??


I love reading your blogs. You have such a cute fun family. Have a happy Birthday Brynn!! We love you!!

Brown Family said...

Sounds like a fun day! I had to laugh about the ziplock baggies. My kids are always filling up the sandwich bags, for church, errands to run, or to sit in front of the tv. Did you know that snacks taste better when they are in ziplock baggies? ;)

Shannon E. said...

Sarah, your family is so CUTE! I just love your blog, isn't it such a fun way to journal and stay in touch with each other? By the way, you've been "TAGGED", check out my blog!

Valerie said...

What a fun hike! I think you are doing some great blogging. It is fun to see what you and your family are up to these days. Keep them coming!

Abby Marie said...

What a great way to strengthen your family through recreation! I'm learning all about that right now!

Russell said...

I don't think the two elephants are quite the same size. Either they're different genders or different ages.