Wednesday, January 16, 2008

To Blog or Not to Blog?



I have been shamed by people I didn't even know looked at my blog. I knew things were bad when I got an email from my mom that told me to read the comments and post some new things. As if! I'm not sure why getting into this whole blogging thing has been so hard for me. I think it comes down to this: I don't take pictures. It's not that I don't want to, or don't like to but let me paint a picture of my life.

It is a day off of school so I decide with some of my friends to go to the Rio Grande Nature Center in downtown Albuquerque. The kids wake up. I drag myself out of bed after spending another sleepless night walking back and forth between Jared's bed, my bed, then Ellie's bed, then Jared's bed, then Ellie's again, and at 5:30am I go back to my last half an hour of sleep in my own bed--just in time for Jared to come bounding in at 6:00am! You would think at 2 1/2 years old he would sleep through the night...but really he's probably done that three times in his whole life. He's really concerned about monsters right now, but I don't think that's why he is waking up--he's confident he could attack and kill any monster in his way. I think it's because he has a security "lovey" or what you will, that many kids have, only his is attached to me--my hair!! Since he was a baby he would hold my hair and rub it in is face and he continues to do it. I tried giving him a doll with hair to sleep with (of course to Scott's chagrin), I tried giving him a really cool soft alligatior stuffed animal. He has a million blankets he could sleep with but nothing seems to work. So now I'm considering buying a wig or something to give to him. Any other suggestions? (And I'm not shaving my head just to teach him a lesson!)

But back to my day-the kids wake up I corral them from here to there-get dressed, brush teeth, make bed (because anyone who makes their bed everyday in January gets to go get a Keva juice--like a Jamba). Then we get breakfast--lately the favorite is oatmeal. Then I change Ellie and nurse her. I start to make lunches for our outing and what do you know--everyone wants to help! So I start giving "jobs" to everyone, but "some" people don't like what I've given them and think the "other" person has the better job and cry whine blah blah! Then, to break things up Jared needs to go to the bathroom. He is still newly trained and needs a watchful eye when he goes--otherwise I can be very sorry (like the time he accidentally got poop on the toilet seat so he tried to clean it up himself and then starting swishing the toilet brush in the toilet full of poop! Somehow he was covered in it as well. Yes, I was grossed out at the mess!) So I get back to making lunches (washing hands of course). This continues the whole morning. I pack a diaper bag with lots of wipes and of course extra clothes for Jared "just in case." Finally it's time to put shoes on and coats on. Kaitlyn can't find her shoe. Jared doesn't want to wear the shoes I'm putting on him. He's freaking out because his sock is not on right (I don't understand what is not right about his socks, but we go through this everyday). Brynn has been standing around watching the whole fiasco with her coat on but is now getting hot so starts to take off her coat and get settled back on the couch. We finally get in the van. I run in the house for the keys and can't find them (a major downfall of mine--I loose my keys often which I think is a biproduct of all I'm talking about right now!) I finally find them and off we go--Ellie starts to get fussy on the way there because it's time to feed her. We make it to the Nature Center--I feed Ellie in the car while the kids jump around in the back and Jared pushes every button up front as he is being an astronuat. We get out and I unload everything--lunch, diaper bag, stroller, extra blanket to sit on for lunch, and extra water. It's a beautiful day and the kids are having a great time and they have all stripped off their coats and handed them to me. My stroller was already bogged down and now I can barely push it. Ellie starts to get fussy--it's her naptime and she would prefer to be in her bed at naptime. So, with one hand I push my stroller full of stuff (I look like a homeless lady pushing around everything I own) and with the other hand I hold Ellie. Just then, Jared needs to go to the bathroom. So, we find as private of a place as we can in the vast open field and I try to help him (he think's going to the bathroom outside is the greatest thing in the world). Then it is lunchtime and I help everyone get what I have packed, nurse Ellie, and then clean everyone up. Then we start to head back toward the car--Jared is tired by now and so I hold Jared in one arm, Ellie in the other and have Kaitlyn push the stroller.

It is all very fun. I am not complaining--I enjoy myself and the kids, but I ask you--when am I supposed to take pictures? My hands are constantly full of kids and their stuff and the thought of bringing along one more thing--my camera--makes me shudder!

I actually do have some pictures of the Nature Center though, because luckily I am blessed to have a friend who loves picture taking and is never without her camera. She takes pictures for everyone and them emails them to us! It is wonderful. So, I have pictures of everything we've done with her and gratefully she's with us on most of our fun outings. So I will post a few pictures of the kids at the Nature Center. And I guess I will post pictures of the other things we do with her. And maybe I'll get into this whole blogging thing. But, isn't it kind of cute just to have Ellie's birth announcement on it. I think it looks pretty good myself!

7 comments:

Kathy said...

What a riot Sarah! I will e-mail everyone so they will actually look at your blog, they got out of the habit of looking.
Your life is perfect. I forgive you for not taking pictures. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Ok, we've got to talk about your blogging style. See, people want a picture with a caption, maybe a short paragraph or so but one picture per short paragraph is the requirement. You lost me right after "it's a day off school ... park ... something" and I'm gone. Betsy says it's funny but I just don't have the mental stamina to push through all those words. I feel like I'm running a marathon, and all the while, my wife is harassing me about how long my comment is and how I need to just go back and read the novel you posted.

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
It makes me sooo happy to have a glimpse into your life! All of my memories are of Sophmore year but so much has changed! Thank you for the post. I giggled and chuckled and wish I could have been there to add an extra pair of hands.

Andy Porter said...

Um. . . Sarah, We have 5 kids roughly the same age as yours +1 and we still do the blog thing. We already have 4 posts this month. I sometimes write the posts from work so I don't post a picture, but at least I post. I don't have too much sympathy, But I am glad that there is something that I can finally look at.

Valerie said...

You know, Russ and Joe are giving you a hard time because your blog is long. Shouldn't they be happy because you actually blogged? I think the length of your blog is equal to at least a normal bloggers 3 months. So hey, take a break. See you in April!

Abby Marie said...

way to go you blogging girl. I didn't have time to read it all, my internet time is limited..hahahahah. I love it though even if it is long!

Christine said...

Hey friend! So check you email.... I just emailed you about a gathering this summer....