Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Home Project




Scott's always had very demanding jobs requiring a lot of his time and most of his energy. For the past few years we've felt like we were just hanging on for life--just making it by from day to day. Our Saturday's were filled with "to do" list tasks--all the things needed to simply function. Scott's new job still requires his time, but instead of a constant barrage of busy peaks, we have felt grateful for the slower valley's that have also come. For the first time in a very long time we have had time to do something "extra."


We bought our kitchen table off of Craigslist a couple of years ago. We have used it well, and the surface was showing the use. It was a light oak table, that never seemed to fit with the decor of our house in Albuquerque. We sanded the top and re-stained it a darker color, and painted the base and chairs black. Up close there are a lot of little imperfections, but we like the overall look so much better. We spent a few nights working on it, and we both had fun doing it. It was fun to have a project like this and to learn a little about refinishing furniture.

8 comments:

Andy Porter said...

Sarah,
If you had fun doing it, you must not have done it right.
Joe

Andy Porter said...

That looks fantastic! Good job.. I'm trying to redo a bedroom set that my mom gave me but I kind of pooped out after the headboard and night stands. If it were me doing the table I would have the table and one chair done and not finish the rest for 3 months. I'm impressed that you guys got it done so fast.

Ben Porter said...

It's probably not as fun as you think. You obviously did not use ventilation masks. Fumes get you thinking funny.

Valerie Porter said...

I think they look fabulous and I think it would have been tons of fun-fumes and all!

Kathy said...

I totally thought you bought a new dining room set! It's beautifull! Great job! I used to do things like that but now I just have Joe do them.

Brown Family said...

Looks good Sar!

Ashlee said...

It looks awesome! Way to go!

Russell said...

I heard your table was a bit scratched to pieces by Addie's cast. Bummer, huh?

Anyway, has anybody heard from Hannah? Betsy's been trying to get ahold of her since mid-morning on the 18th. No answer to email, text message, and blog comments. Did she witness a crime and have to move some where and change her name?