Friday, July 25, 2008

INTRUDER!

The kids and I just got home from a 3 week stay in Utah. Scott was with us for one week, but went home to work for the last two weeks. Without the kids playing in the backyard everyday intruders snuck in!

A couple of days ago I went outside in the backyard where our garden grows high on a wall and found a big bunny munching on some leaves. I was quite surprised to see her up there since we didn't think they could jump up the wall. We have bunnies in our yard off and on all the time, but we have never seen them in the garden. Much to the kids chagrin, I shooed that bunny out of there as fast as I could. With a little more investigating done by the kids we found where the bunny had dug a bed for her under the beans. I thought she was getting ready for babies until the next day as we were harvesting beans we discovered an entire family of intruders in our garden!

Digging around in the garden for those little bunnies was just like picking beans. If you have ever picked beans you know you have to move that plant around quite a bit so you don't miss any beans that seem to hide. Even when I'm sure I've picked every one of them, further inspection seems to find more. And there's probably a few out there that I still missed.

The bunnies were too little to hop down from the garden wall so we had to catch them and remove them. The kids ran out with ziploc bags on their hands--to protect them from wild animal germs of course and the hunt began. We caught one, and then someone noticed another running around. I chased that thing all over the garden, but he could hide so well. When I finally had him and reached down to get him I discovered another bunny hiding quietly as well. We spent a good 45 minutes trying to catch all the bunnies, and just like I missed some beans, I'm pretty sure we missed one of the bunnies, but I still can't find him! It was actually a pretty fun morning.

I wanted to let the bunnies go to find a new home in one of the nearby fields, but the kids could not let them be. They chased them all over the backyard for an hour. I was actually feeling sorry for the little bunnies.

I guess we're not true farmers around here--the rabbit family brought so much joy and my kids are hoping some more are born in our garden soon.






Jared in the garden with his ziploc bag gloves.

3 comments:

The Joe said...

How funny. Your kids are so adventurous. Your garden looks great. I was reading that and thinking.."I wonder what it would be like to even have one bean on our bean plants" . I think we started to once and then it shriveled and died. Our squash plant was doing so well and then yesterday up and died. I can't figure this gardening thing out. We miss you guys already. Remember that thing I was worried about happening on our race? It happened the next day:) phew!!

Abby Marie said...

hahahah What a fun day! Why didn't you keep some of the bunnies, you know, as pets? Oh wait. :) Miss you guys! Oh and I forgot to tell you how CUTE that e-mail about Brynn and keeping the sabbath day holy was! She is so special!! Love ya!

Sharee Gariety said...

That bunny is really cute! Daphne would have begged and begged and begged to keep one if they had built their nest in our yard. Glad you guys are back. As Dallin said, "Things just aren't as fun without the Esplins around."