Saturday, April 18, 2009

Puh-lease Mom!

Sometimes the constant badgering and begging ("Puh-lease Mom! Puh-lease with cupcakes on top!") of the kids gets to me and I give in. A few weeks ago it was true spring-like weather (not the horrible cold, windy weather of late). I was outside working while the kids played. They claimed that it was just so horribly hot they were going to die (just wait kids...it will get that way soon!). Could they pul-lease go through the Elmo sprinkler?!

Now, the kids ask me this EVERY time it's a little tiny bit warm and I have to tell them that it is not as warm as they think and will freeze if they get wet. Besides that, it means changing clothes and bringing down four towels that will invariably get dirty enough to have to wash. It means slathering everyone down with sunscreen. It means little pieces of grass sticking on their legs and brought all over the house and wet bodies in and out of the house. It always seems like a lot of work when I can't guarantee they will make it worth my while by spending enough time out there. But this time...I relented. It was pretty hot, and surprisingly there was no wind at the time.
I'm glad I gave in. The kids had a blast, and I enjoyed watching their laughter. Ellie was not interested in getting wet, but LOVED laying in all the towels. (She also discovered the joy of her swimming suit and didn't want to take it off for a few days). The kids even stayed outside for an hour which was more than I expected.

8 comments:

Andy Porter said...

Isn't it funny how much effort it takes to do something like running through the sprinklers? That just doesn't even cross your mind as a kid. I'm jealous that it was actually warm enough for that! Looks like the kids had a blast!

Julie Smith said...

I am glad to know I'm not the only one who hates letting kids run through the sprinkler. It is a mess. I also don't like letting them play in the snow. I'm a horrible mom. It does look like they had fun though.

Russell said...

So, I'm realizing more and more that Sarah and I don't have a single parenting trait in common. When Porter and Reid wanted to play with the hose and it was 45 degrees outside, I just sent them out. It was cold and they both came in crying a bit later, Reid more than Porter, because Porter had the hose, but I certainly didn't waste any time/thought/effort on things like clothes, towels, sunscreen, etc. They'll learn that water is cold or they won't and if they do learn it, I doubt it will be because I told them they couldn't play with the hose. That doesn't make your way wrong, though. Just more effort.

Valerie said...

I have moments like these too! When they are over I tell myself, "Man, I'm a great mom" and then I pass out with exhaustion.

You're a great mom! When you're kids get older they'll look back at all the fun stuff you did and just think you are the best.

MamaJuneBugJones said...

Cute Girl, Looks like your kiddos had fun! By the way... Love your blog! It is so cute!
Erin

Meri said...

Sarah--I found your blog! Email me at merios@juno.com and I'll send you an invitation to ours. --Merideth

Kim Breinholt said...

You are such a good mom!

Sharee Gariety said...

My kids are the same way! Daphne especially is very eager to get out the swimsuit in and play in the water at the first ray of sunshine & no wind. Actually, sometimes, sunshine is the only criteria. We played with water the other day too.