Friday, April 17, 2009

Spot and Dot

I think Jared understands that I will never allow a dog. Taking matters into his own hands, he’s decided to be the family pet, “Spot” the big dog (never, never call him a “little” dog). He crawls on all fours, when he wants to be held he jumps up and pats his “paws” on your chest until you pick him up, he whimpers when he doesn’t get what he wants, barks to get our attention and wants to drink water from a bowl. The other day he licked me. Yuck! I told him to please never lick me again. “Bark, bark, but I’m Spot mom.” I explained to him that I don’t like real or pretend dogs to ever lick me. “But mom, I love it when dogs lick me!” Some people like it, some people don’t. Now he just licks Ellie. And Ellie has joined the bandwagon. She’s our new puppy “Little Dot.” She has picked up very quickly on all the dog mannerisms. It’s all a little too real for me!

5 comments:

Allison said...

Having a big dog and a puppy at my house, I am not sure which kind is less work - the actual canines, or the kids who want to be!

McEntire Family said...

Sounds like your next purchase will be a leash! What a fun idea to improvise.

Valerie said...

That's hilarious! One thing about living here in California, everyone and their grandma has a dog. So when my kids get the "I want a dog" urge, we just step outside and take a walk and I let them pet other people's dogs. It gets it out of their system for awhile and then. . .we just repeat if needed.

Liz said...

I'm with you on never wanting to own a dog! Not that I don't like them - I just hate their spit and their funky smell. They are so much work - I think I'd be a terrible owner.
I think it is hilarious about the kids pretending. Very cute!

Andy Porter said...

Ha ha ha!! I don't want a dog, but a husband dog would be alright. We just flew home and watched Marley and Me on the plane. It did make me want a dog a little bit...just a tiny tiny little bit. Maybe when the kids are a little older. You guys crack me up.