Thursday, April 23, 2009

Successful?

Ellie has been showing the tell-tale signs of potty training readiness. She’s dry at nap time. She loves to sit on the potty and actually goes. She rips off her diaper the minute she wets it. I’ve always followed my kids lead. When they show an interest I think I better run with it before they decide they’re not interested after all. It’s worked so far…all the kids have been potty-trained around two years old. I count this as one of my greatest blessings.
And so I’ve been working with Ellie. Oh how I hope this is not a false alarm!

Today she was playing outside in the fort of our swingset. I watched her as she took the toy kitchen pot she was playing with (our little kitchen is up in the fort) and squatted over it. I knew immediately what she was doing. “Ellie!” I screamed. “Come down here and go in the potty!” I cajoled. But to no avail. She smiled and showed me her filled pot.

This isn’t the first time she’s done something like that. A couple days ago I found her sitting in a little mixing bowl in the middle of the kitchen. I will not disclose which bowl for fear of some family members (err, Scott) not being able to look past this happenstance and never being able to use the bowl again. I guess she couldn’t resist…it was just the right size for her little bum. Why not use it for a potty? I assure you it was disinfected properly.

Now obviously Ellie knew she needed to go each of these times; and it was never on the floor. So can I count these as successes?

13 comments:

Allison said...

Coming from the mother of a 6-year-old (she happens to be disabled) who is still fighting the whole potty training thing (I'm convinced her missing genetic material is the potty-training stuff!) I say you can definitely count Ellie's, uh, innovations as successes!

Russell said...

I'm not going to lie. If Betsy told me that Reid had peed/pooped in one of our mixing bowls but she wouldn't tell me which one, I would cheerfully smash every bowl we owned just to be safe. Bodily functions and eating just don't mix.

Julie Smith said...

Darn right that's a success. Amber is almost a whole year older than Ellie and she made the most horrible mess ever all over the floor just this last week. I think my children have a weak potty training gene.

The Bloom Bunch said...

That is the funniest thing I've read all week. I never fully got the whole potty training thing. Everything I tried didn't work - kids learn on their own schedule. It was my least favorite part of motherhood. Scratch it up as a success for Ellie! Now, hide all the bowls.

Ben Porter said...

That is a hilarious picture! Oh wait, there were no pictures. My attitude towards blogs is the same as Joe's attitude toward books: If it ain't got pictures, it's too much work. p.s. I'm never eating a home cooked meal at your house :)

Ben Porter said...

p.p.s. I don't know her, but your friend Bloom Bunch is brave admitting that she never got the whole potty training thing. Maybe she could try giving herself an M&M each time she uses the toilet.

The Watkins said...

To be done with diapers...I just dream of those days. And after 4, you are well deserving to kiss huggies goodbye. Hope it's the real deal.

McEntire Family said...

Thanks for the laugh! I bet I would have laughed even harder if I wasn't in the midst of potty training Kade. Thanks for keeping my boys today!

Kathy said...

I'm with Ben. I'm a little nervous about eating at your house. Although I think of Ellie's big smile as she sits in a kitchen bowl and can't help giggling.

Sharee Gariety said...

heck yes, those are successes. If you didn't have to clean it out of underwear or off the floor it counts!

Jill Leckbee said...

That is the funniest thing I have ever read. Ellie just cracks me up!! I am impressed with her creativity (no matter how gross it may be). What would you do with out Ellie to keep you on your toes!!

Adrienne said...

Heck, yes you're a success!! I love she's finding containers at least -- nothing on the floor, or hidden in a corner, right? Just claim all the success as your inherent awesome mommyness.

Shantell said...

That is so funny! You have to give it to her as a success! At least it wasn't on the floor!