Sunday, March 21, 2010

Ellie's Determination

Ellie is not yet three but has proven to be a pretty determined girl. Just today she was very determined when she knocked down Jared’s block structure set up with army men not equipped for her kind of warfare. Not much later she was unwavering when we caught her trying to cut the carpet and then a few minutes later the table cloth with her scissors. I also shouldn’t fail to mention how today we also found her sitting with a bottle of Elmer’s glue emptied out on the table, her hands and arms covered in glue, with the mess getting spread by each passing second.

Fortunately we have a recent example where Ellie’s determination has been for the good. For some time we have worried about her thumb sucking--it seemed to be getting worse with her thumb almost constantly in her mouth.  Then her friend Wyatt threw away his binkies.

When I mentioned to Ellie Wyatt's brave act and issue into "big boyhood" Ellie immediately looked down at her thumb and tried to pull it off.  With sadness in her eyes she exclaimed, "I can't throw away my thumb!"  With a little more discussion and a promise that if she stopped she would be able to go to “Chuck E Cheeses” (her way of saying it) with her little friend Wyatt, she made up her mind and hasn’t relented. We’ve had only a couple of weak moments at bedtime where she didn’t want anything to do with Scott, but with me by her side Ellie held her own hands under her blankie and held tough.

She is very proud of herself--as she should be!  What an amazing feat for someone so young.  I have been impressed with this determination and am pleased to see it being channeled in a positive direction.

Gone are the days of pictures like these:


5 comments:

McEntire Family said...

She is amazing! I asked her yesterday at church if she was still doing good with keeping her thumb out and she said, YES! The kids said the car ride was rough with Ellie and no thumb - but you all made it through!

Abby Watson said...

Wow! She is such a tough girl.She was such cute thumb sucker,so at least you have those pictures to remember her thumb by. :) YAY ELLIE~

Russ, Julie, and Kids said...

Oh, it's so great when they finally stop... but kinda sad too. Those pictures are so cute! I sometimes miss seeing Cole with his thumb in his mouth! And Parker wants me to thank you for telling me about the army men and blocks idea. I told him what Jared does and he thought it was the best game he ever played, and can he please do it every day... so thanks!

Mindy said...

Sweet Ellie! I'm glad she stopped the "easy" way and not the hard way like Grant did!

Anonymous said...

Gucci for UNICEF,
for Charity or for Sale?

Gucci has been a donator to UNICEF (United Nations International Children Emergency Fund) for five years.
Miley Cyrus with Simple Gucci
Very well, I'm almost this about to arising about my podium and articulate my judgement about Miley Cyrus and her option of dress
Gucci New Bamboo Bags
Frankly speaking, I don't have a strong love for bamboo handbags, which I consider a bit traditional and vulgar. But it seems that not all the bamboo handbags fall within this scope
Gucci Sunset Tote
I Do not acknowledge how come gucci designing authority called this Gucci Tote boasting inscribed
interwoven G rivets “sundown”
Gucci's Touring Event
Anybody can buy one from the handbags and make a gucci craftsman refinement of the structure of