Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I Want to Be A Dad

Tonight at dinner Ellie told us she wanted to be a dad when she grew up. The kids were trying to tell her that wasn’t possible. I said, “Ellie, the mom stays home with the babies and the dad’s go to work.” Knowing the little momma Ellie is to Nate, Jared and a million bears and dolls, I thought this explanation would make her change her tune. She was adamant though, “Yeah, I know. I love going to work.”


Later as I told Scott this story we both laughed—until Scott announced it was time for him to leave for Mutual (hadn’t he just barely gotten home from work?). I was in the middle of corralling kids up to the bath and looked around at the house inhabited by five monkeys and feeling the utter exhaustion of summer days spent trying to teach/convince/cajole the kids that they should clean up after themselves. Scott smiled sheepishly at me, and I started laughing again. I think Ellie has something there! No wonder she wants to be a dad when she grows up! :)

4 comments:

Kim Breinholt said...

You're awesome Sarah! I thought about calling you tonight and figured you'd be w/ Scott. Totally forgot about mutual even though my girls were there!

McEntire Family said...

I'm with Ellie! Sometimes I want to be a dad too! :)

Abby Watson said...

hahaha that is funny.

Andy Porter said...

Cute!!!