Thursday, January 5, 2012

Funny Things

My kids love to look at my friend's blog and read her monthly post about the funny things her kids have said over the month.  They laugh so hard, and really, her kids say some of the most random, cute, funny things--I love reading it too.  Jared asked me why I never blog about the funny things they say.  Ummm?  I teased the kids that  maybe they weren't that funny.  They definitely took offense, and I took the blame for not writing the funny things they say down immediately after it happened.  Because, let's face it, I forget things pretty quickly.  Maybe if I had an iPhone I could keep better track of the cute things my kids said (that's a plug for me getting an iPhone in case you didn't notice.)  So at the end of our conversation Jared started running around the house yelling, "Everybody, say some funny things so Mom can blog about them!"  I thought that in and of itself was pretty funny.  I will try to be better at documenting these cute moments...I will try. So, for my kids and our memories:

  • This actually happened several months ago.  Amazingly, I haven't forgotten it.  We checked out a book from the library about football.  It was discussing the differences between pro football and college football.  After we read a few pages Jared stopped and very seriously and almost solemnly said, "Well, I guess I'll have to be in the pros."  I asked him why and again very seriously and matter-of-fact he replied, "Because I'm so good."  I hope Jared's confidence continues with him as he gets older!
  • A new boy started school after Christmas and Jared's teacher asked Jared to be this boys buddy. I asked Jared if they got along and Jared said, "Oh, yeah, he's already my third best friend."   I asked him who was number one and number two and he told me it was Jack and then Brecken.  If you remember a post way back when Kindergarten started you'll know that Jared had a very difficult time because a boy was telling him over and over that his dad was a police officer and when he came to volunteer he was going to arrest Jared.  That boy was Brecken, his now #2 best friend.  Listening to the conversation Brynn quipped in a melodramatic voice, "His worst enemy becomes his best friend...that always happens in love movies."
  • I was explaining to Ellie over our trip to Utah that we were going to take the big kids skiing and she and Nathan got to stay home with grandma Esplin. Ellie was not happy about being left behind but I assured her that she would like staying at grandma's house, and I was trying to help her remember some of the things about grandma Esplin.  She wasn't convinced and said, "Mom, I just can't remember what her face looks like."
  • After our trip to UT I was talking to Ellie and we started laughing about her comment that she couldn't remember what grandma's face looked like and Nathan chimed in his two year old voice and vocabulary--"Yeah, can't member gampa's cheeks look like."  I thought it was cute that he could equate what we said about her face to her cheeks.  I could go on and on about Nate.  He repeats everything you say to him and I smile all day long because of it!
  • Nate runs around the house looking for Jared at every spare moment saying, "Jed (his version of Jared) shoot hoops!"  He wants Jared to shoot hoops with him on the over-the-door Nerf hoop Jared got for Christmas.  Jared told me he gets tired of it, but he does it anyway because it's so cute that Nathan wants him to play with him.  Cute boy. Oh, and I should mention that Nathan is making more and more shots on that hoop...it's kind of scary!

6 comments:

Abby Watson said...

Those are so funny! Now that I got to hear Nathan talk I can imagine his voice in my head when you write the way he pronounces things. You must need to show more pictures of grandma's and grandpas (and cousins etc..) if they are forgetting faces.

Just get an iphone.

Valerie said...

Your kids say the cutest things. I agree the hardest thing is remembering exactly what they say. So many things are happening it gets crazy in the brain. I think an I-phone is exactly what you need and should have. It's a righteous desire.

Mindy said...

Kudos to you for blogging about the funny things your kids say. My kids would be happy if I blogged about ANYTHING!

Kathy said...

get an iphone, then record every cute thing the kids say. They are adorable.

Aneta Kudasik said...

Too funny! Beautiful family!

Sharee Gariety said...

"Quick--say something funny!" I love that. And I love Brynn's comment about Jared's 2nd best friend. :) I think I need an iphone too so that my quote page can be better. Lately, I keep forgetting to write them down even though they make me laugh everyday!