Brynn's birthday was on Thursday. On Saturday we had a "craft" party with 8 little girls! We decorated foam tiara magnets, made stepping-stones, and decorated little canvas bags with ribbon, felt shapes and small pom-poms. It was a dream come true for Brynn and Kaitlyn--non-stop crafting for two hours! Scott and I were tired afterwards.
As you can see, Brynn's birthday cake was nothing fancy (but better tasting than any
"cute" cake we've had lately). I made a Texas Chocolate cake and decorated her name and flowers on it with M&M's the night before her party. The next day when the girls saw the cake they were so excited, and thought the M&M decor was the greatest! I smiled at their excitement and felt grateful that they didn't need an expensive cake decorated with the latest character or even an elaborately decorated homemade cake to be happy.
Children can be happy with the simpiliest things, and sometimes we parents make it harder on ourselves than we need to--or create un-needed expectations in our kids. When Kaitlyn turned two we had a big "ladybug" birthday party. I spent hours making a ladybug cake and individual ladybug cupcakes. They were cute as can be, took forever, and since I had to use so much red food coloring--tasted horrible!
3 comments:
I love that cake! They don't have M&M's in New Zealand...at least not any that are easy to find. BUT they have the greatest chocolate ever! Every chocolate candy bar is made with Cadbury chocolate! It's divine! I'll bring you some when I come home and save it for when I see you next! Love ya!
You're right about keeping it simple. I just need to tell myself that. I get carried away with birhdays because I absolutely love doing parties and then I die. . .with exhaustion!
Yea! Happy Birthday Brynn! I think that cake is really cute too. And the Texas Chocolate was a good idea, because it's way more delicious than a regular cake. Yum!
Post a Comment