In New Mexico, "arroyos" are constructed of cement to channel the infrequent but violent rainfall we get every so often to prevent flooding. They are narrow with steep sides, and are found all over the place here! There is an arroyo near our home, and on either side of the arroyo is a city-maintained grassy field and walking path that runs parallel with the arroyo. Last Saturday on our way home from playing soccer in the grassy field we stopped to notice the snow left on the south wall of the arroyo. The north side had melted away completely. Kaitlyn crouched down anticipating to run down the side of the arroyo, but because of the snow, started to slide a little. Jared thought this looked fun and plopped right down on his bum and slid right down the side of the arroyo. Pretty soon all the kids were "arroyo sledding"--no sled needed! We couldn't believe how fast they were sliding down. It was fun, at the expense of worn-out pants! I'm sure New Mexico officials would not be thrilled at our new found use of the arroyo. At school, the kids are taught not to play in arroyos, because when water is flowing they are quite dangerous.
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Arroyo Sledding, Anyone?
In New Mexico, "arroyos" are constructed of cement to channel the infrequent but violent rainfall we get every so often to prevent flooding. They are narrow with steep sides, and are found all over the place here! There is an arroyo near our home, and on either side of the arroyo is a city-maintained grassy field and walking path that runs parallel with the arroyo. Last Saturday on our way home from playing soccer in the grassy field we stopped to notice the snow left on the south wall of the arroyo. The north side had melted away completely. Kaitlyn crouched down anticipating to run down the side of the arroyo, but because of the snow, started to slide a little. Jared thought this looked fun and plopped right down on his bum and slid right down the side of the arroyo. Pretty soon all the kids were "arroyo sledding"--no sled needed! We couldn't believe how fast they were sliding down. It was fun, at the expense of worn-out pants! I'm sure New Mexico officials would not be thrilled at our new found use of the arroyo. At school, the kids are taught not to play in arroyos, because when water is flowing they are quite dangerous.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Ohh, I'm such a bad mom. You had a snow flurry and still managed to take your kids out sledding!! We've had about 5 feet of snow every day for 3 months and I keep thinking I need to take the kids out but never do.
Holy crap Sarah. You have put us all to shame as you blog about each breath. Nice job. I am humbled by your blogbility.
I am not worthy.
Joe
Only an awesome Mom would let her kids ruin their clothes-all for the sake of fun!
I can NOT believe your children are so big. I remember when your first was a baby! Holy cow. I'm old.
Post a Comment