Sunday, November 16, 2008

Mistaken Identity

Have you ever seen one of these?

Last week as we were saying good-bye to our garden for the season and pulling it out Kaitlyn and Brynn each found one of these really cool bright green caterpillars...or so we thought. They put their "pets" in a jar and were hoping to keep them until they turned into butterflies.

It wasn't until a few days later when I was describing our caterpillar to some friends that they said, "It sound's like a tomato-horn worm." And so it is. A nasty predator of the garden able to annihilate our tomato and pepper plants. And we're housing it as a pet!

When I told the girls the news Brynn responded, "Oh, gross! I can't believe I ever touched that thing!" Kaitlyn is remaining true and loyal to her plump green friend...but instead of its place in her room her jar has been moved outside.

1 comment:

Andy Porter said...

I JUST LOOKED THESE THINGS UP. THEY DO TURN INTO HUGE MOTHS. THEY RE VERY GROSS
JOE