Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I am the Greatest

Scott and I love the song by Kenny Rogers, “I am the Greatest.” It’s about a little boy who is throwing a baseball up to himself and trying to hit it with the bat—but he keeps missing the ball.

“Now the little boy doesn't say a word
Picks up his ball he is undeterred
Says I am the greatest there has ever been
and he grits his teeth and he tries it again.”

Once again he swings and misses the ball.

“He makes no excuses
He shows no fear
He just closes his eyes and listens to the cheers

Says I am the greatest the game is on the line
and he gives his all one last time"

Again, he misses the ball and strikes out. But this little boy isn’t upset, instead as he runs home he says

“I am the greatest that is a fact
but even I didn't know
I could pitch like that

Says I am the greatest that is understood
but even I didn't know
I could pitch that good”

Despite the three strikes, this little boy focused on the positive—what a great pitcher he was.

The other day I took Jared up the cul-de-sac to shoot the basketball on our neighbor’s hoop. I was reminded of this song when Jared shot the ball over and over again. He was probably making 1 out of 30 shots, but every shot was very close. He was undeterred. “Wow, Mom! That was a close one!” he exclaimed over and over. And then, “Mom, I’m better than Elliot, huh?” I smiled. Elliot is our 10 year old neighbor who is often out shooting the ball.

Isn’t it great—the confidence of a child. Jared wasn’t focusing on the times he was missing the basket, but instead glorified in his “near baskets” and the “every-once-in a-while basket.” Somewhere along the road to adulthood this simple confidence is often squashed by self-doubt and discouragement. Before I started my ninth grade year I thought it would be fun to play field hockey. But I was worried…what if I wasn’t good enough? What if I didn’t make the team? I didn’t try out for the team until tenth grade, and then discovered a love and talent I didn’t know I had. I often regret that I didn’t have the confidence to try out for the team a year earlier.



I try to remember this even now…there are many new things to try and do and sometimes I still find myself pulling back because “what if I can’t do it, or it doesn’t work right.” I pray at night that my children will have the confidence they need in life to conquer all that they desire.

And then we’d all do good to focus on the positive even when we feel like we “struck-out.”

9 comments:

Valerie said...

You are the greatest! I love all of your thoughts and feel the same. I think our little ones teach us so much.

P.S. You are the first person that popped in my mind when CJ got pink eye. I think we are surviving.

Andy Porter said...

Wouldn't it be great if we had the confidence that our kids have? Not to mention the determination. Thanks for your thoughts today.

Kathy said...

You are definitely the greatest in my eyes! I think of how scary you were out there playing field hockey and I dare anyone to stand in your way. I hope you always remember that and feel confident to try new things.
Love you

Julie Smith said...

Sarah, I learn new things about you all the time. How cute you were! I know exactly what you mean about confidence though. I was too scared to try anything when I was young. I have tried so hard not to let that stop my kids. Sometimes I'm mean though. I don't let them have the option not to try new things because they're scared. Do you think I'm horrible:

McEntire Family said...

Oh, man! I just left this huge comment and when I hit post it told me that Blogger was having an error!

Anyway - loved your post and thinking about life through a child's eyes! I loved your field hockey picture. I'm not quite sure what field hockey is. . . hockey on grass? Would be fun to play sometime.

Julie Smith said...

That is not to say that you aren't still cute, by the way. :)

Kim Breinholt said...

Sarah you are so WISE!

Sharee Gariety said...

Thanks for sharing. It's true we should give ourselves more room for error--that's how we learn and get better! I want to go listen to that song now.

Russell said...

Betsy's better at Field Hockey than you.