Sunday, August 15, 2010

Garage Sale Goodies


All summer long the kids begged me to let them hold a lemonade stand.  Thoughts of sitting with the kids in the hot summer sun for seemingly endless hours on our quiet neighborhood street tucked away from any potential customers made me want to evade the subject each time.

They continued to beg, and beg, and beg.

And then I remembered the time my mom let us have a lemonade stand during a garage sale we had.  She even made homemade cinnamon rolls for us to sell--I was old enough to know homemade cinnamon rolls took a lot of effort to make, and I remember thinking that my mom must really  love us to do this.  Of course the cinnamon rolls were a big hit of our sale, and I remember neighbors buying several at a time.

So when I heard a family from our ward (Steel's) was having a garage sale along with several other neighbors I decided I should jump on the chance to create a great memory with my kids.  All their children are grown and they were happy to have my kids set up their lemonade stand during their garage sale.

And of course, I made cinnamon rolls for my kids to sell--so they would know that I loved them enough to do that too.  (It was a good thing too since the morning we held our sale it was overcast and cool.  A perfect day to sit outside for a couple of hours, but not the perfect day to sell ice-cold lemonade.)  Scott helped think of the slogan for their signs "Garage Sale Goodies."

We all had a blast, and I'm grateful I had this opportunity to create a positive memory with my family.  The Steel's and their neighbors were very generous with the kids and made several purchases.  Brother Steel taught my kids about sales and so all four were yelling, "Ice-cold lemonade, Homemade Cinnamon Rolls" to every potential customer who walked by.  The kids manned their sale for about an hour and a half and made about $30 to split between Kaitlyn, Brynn and Jared.  Not bad for a summer day!

Best Quote of the Day:
Jared was beginning to get thirsty and complained to me.  I told him he was welcome to have a cup of lemonade (I could already tell the bulk of the profits was not going to be from their lemonade sales) or I had a water bottle in the car.  Jared quickly jumped on the water bottle choice and exclaimed, "I don't want to give us a bad bargain!  I'll take the water." 

The idea of a "bad bargain" kept all the kids from eating and drinking their products.

4 comments:

Andy Porter said...

Sarah, that is so cute. You are a great mama. I'm impressed that they made $30. I might want to invest in their little store:)

Valerie said...

That is a great treat for your kids. But beware, since you were so awesome in letting your kids do it once, they will bug you every year! CJ still asks me every year if she can do one.

Mindy said...

I'm so glad that we ran into your store. Your "garage sale goodies" were a great bargain for us!

Julie Smith said...

Oh, I wish I'd gone to that sale. Beth and Randa keep begging me to let them do a lemonade/brownie sale on Wednesdays after school for the Desert Ridge kids. Apparently the other elementary schoolers who do that make quite a haul. I'm still thinking about it.