Jared started Kindergarten!
Jared is one of those "cool cat" kind of guys. In a house full of emotion, he keeps his cool and goes with the flow. Any talk of starting kindergarten was met with a blase attitude like sure he'd go if he had to, but he certainly wasn't overly excited about it.
He looked awesome in his BYU shirt and his new Nike's he's been dying to wear.
On the first day his teacher read "The Kissing Hand" to the parents and kids and then gave each child a Hershey kiss to give to his parent. I didn't want to leave--Jared was too excited about getting a Hershey kiss for himself that he didn't glance my direction once when I left.
Sending your child off to Kindergarten is a rite of passage--it's like the first step to giving them true independence. And here, it feels even worse, because Kindergarten is all day. That's over six hours a day where he'll be in someone else's care. Six hours that I don't know what he's doing.
He seemed to enjoy the first day, but didn't want to go back. He told me he was excited for the first day, but now he'd rather stay home. He was worried about getting on the right bus and none of my reassuring helped him. His sweet teacher stepped in and gave him a little extra attention for the next couple of days to assure him that he was getting on the right one.
Six hours is LONG for a little boy. He comes home very tired. I know in a few weeks he'll adjust to the schedule and school will be fine, but it is hard in the meantime. The teacher sent home a note reminding the parents of this, so apparently we are not the only ones struggling.
One night, shortly after school started I was laying by him at bedtime talking about his day. He said, "Mom, I almost cried today at school because I was thinking about all the fun memories I have of being at home with you in the day." My heart broke, and I knew exactly how he felt. I wanted to tell him he never had to go back to school--that he could stay with me forever.
I'm pretty sure Jared felt like his life of having fun was over. The next morning Jared woke up early so Scott spent some time with him building Legos. Jared was a new man after that. He seems to do much better after he's had some play time with his dad in the morning.
4 comments:
You are right that kindergarten is SIX very long hours--for the kids and their moms! I'm sure that we'll all adapt. Good luck in the meantime.
He looks so handsome especially in his BYU shirt and Nikes. That was so sweet what he said about being at home-must be because you are a great Mom!
He looks 14 in that first picture. He is so tall and handsome in his Nike's and BYU shirt!
I can so relate. I totally have mixed feelings about school. I already miss summer because even though I know it's a good thing, I just want all my little chicks under my wings where I can give them kisses and tell them what to do all day long...He does look like a big kid in that picture.
Post a Comment