Sunday, April 10, 2011

Mommy's Little Helper

Ellie's Sunbeam teacher asked us to email pictures of Ellie helping me, helping Scott, and helping a sibling. Ellie is at that age where she wants to do EVERYTHING with me. She's actually truely become quite a help (when she wants to be). She likes to make lunches with me in the morning. I put her in charge of making baggies of carrot sticks or crackers--she always ends up wanting a sandwich for breakfast. She helped me make zuccini bread the other day. Again, notice her aversion to cameras. She wouldn't act normal or give me a cute smile once she saw the camera.




Her real help comes about with Nathan.  She continues to love that boy like he is her own.  Today at lunch I smiled when Ellie swept Nate in her arms and said, "Come on Bud, let's get you lunch" and then proceeded to put him in his booster seat, put his tray on and then give him some craisins to munch on while I made the rest of his lunch.  She knows what he needs even sometimes when I don't.  She feeds him when I can't, and runs around chasing him which he loves.

One day while we were in the car the older kids started calling Nathan a monster.  As if on cue, Nate started flailing his arms and screaming--generally acting crazy just like a little monster.  Ellie remarked to Nathan, "Nate, you don't have to act like that--the kids were just pre-teasing you."  I rather like her combination of 'pretend' and 'teasing.'

This winter a pipe in the ceiling of our church burst and flooded the entire building.  There has to be extensive work done before we can meet there again.  Ellie must have picked up on what was going on.  I realized she didn't completley understand it when we drove past the temple and Ellie pointed and said "Look, the temple!  But that's not our temple."  I wasn't sure why she didn't think it was ours so I asked her and she said, "Because ours exploded and we can't go there anymore."

2 comments:

McEntire Family said...

Loved that Kiki was in the picture too, because that's just part of her. What a cute girl!

Julie Smith said...

I love Ellie. That second picture just says it all.