Sunday, March 2, 2008

Spring Gardening


Saturday was a busy day--we had two soccer games, a baptism and of course we had to make time to plant the garden. The last week we have had amazing weather--in the low 70's! Scott got the bug to get the garden started. Last year our garden didn't do as well as the year before, so Scott was much more meticulous this year at preparing our soil. He emptied two wheel-barrels full of our old dirt and added a mix of new stuff--manure, compost, fertilizer, potting soil, etc. I had the fun job of using our little tiller to till the ground. I love using that machine! Scott planted lettuce, radishes and peas--all early spring vegetables that like a little cold. We'll add more in another month or so.
The kids thought it was the funniest/grossest thing that Scott was putting "cow poop" and "chicken poop" in the garden. After checking on the garden this afternoon and smelling the not so fresh air, I'm sure our neighbors are indeed thinking it is the grossest thing and not the funniest thing!

7 comments:

Hannah said...

So, you're going to have to teach me what to plant and when. We have a lot of garden space in our new house and would really like to use it, but we really don't know the first thing about gardening. We would definitely not be ready to plant anything yet, though, unless there are "late winter" plants that enjoy 5 degree weather at night.

Brown Family said...

I too don't know the first thing about gardening, but I want to plant our first this year. I need to do some research. It sounds like alot of hard work and a little bit of fun! :) Sean's grandpa or my dad like to do the "gardening thing" I will hit them up for some help. Good Luck! Love the pics btw!

Valerie said...

When Ben and I were newly married, we had the opportunity to plant a garden. We were so excited and planted everything we could think of. Unfortunately, nothing we planted came up and we have labeled ourselves poor gardeners since.

Kathy said...

I love your gardens, especially when the bunnies are there and when Jared walks through and picks a salad. I also love your blog.

The Joe said...

You have a really nice looking yard. I love that the garden is raised up like that.
Our neighbor did a whole yard of manure last summer and it smelled for a couple of weeks. The stench was pretty nasty, but her yard is awesome now. Her garden is huge. It seems like it's worth the stink.

Abby Marie said...

I want to come visit you in New Mexico before I start school in the spring. Wouldn't that be SO fun?

Abby Marie said...

I want to come visit you in New Mexico before I start school in the spring. Wouldn't that be SO fun?