Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The True Christmas Spirit.


We invited a couple of families, who like us, do not have family in town, to help us celebrate Christmas Eve with our traditional “shepherd’s dinner.” I also decided this year to buy dollar store gifts for all the children to play the game where you choose a gift and unwrap it and then the next person can take that gift from you or choose another one. I’ve been picking up things here and there for the last couple of weeks, but needed to run to the dollar store tonight to get a few more items.

I found some great things and headed to check out. I chatted with the salesperson and the man next to me as I swiped my debit card to pay for my items. The credit card machine was taking a bit longer than usual, and I started to feel my stomach drop as I remembered that my debit card actually expired in September. For some reason, the bank sent Scott a new debit card and not me. I rarely use my debit card and only found out a couple of weeks ago that it was expired. (Scott emailed and called the bank asking them to send me a new card. I still haven’t received one yet.) And although it is expired, it has still been working randomly at different stores. I realized it was not going to work tonight at the dollar store as it declined my card.

The dollar store does not accept American Express, which was the only other card I had and I didn’t even have cash. I embarrassingly told my plight to the lady, explaining that I could run to get some cash and be back quickly. At that moment, the man next to me pulled out ten dollars and paid for my items. I was speechless for a moment, and then I quickly told him I would be okay, that I could get the money and come back to the store. He assured me that “$10 was no big deal.” I told him it was a big deal to me. At that moment the checkout lady realized that we didn’t know each other, and she too was speechless. I profusely thanked the man for his kindness and he shook my hand and wished me a merry Christmas. I told him I’d find a way to repay his kindness to another.

I left the dollar store with tears in my eyes for the kindness and example of a stranger. I wasn’t destitute, and I certainly didn’t need any of those items. I could have put all the items back or ran to the bank to get money. But those things didn’t matter to him; he was willing to help me in the moment with no thought of return. He showed the true spirit of Christmas.

I admit that I was, and am still a bit embarrassed, but mostly my heart was touched. I hope I would have done the same thing. I will now. I put some cash in my wallet when I got home (some for emergencies) and other to keep until I find someone I can help in the moment as well.

My mom told me that last night at a family Christmas celebration she asked the children what gift they could give Jesus this year. My niece Livy responded, “always remember Him.” We remember the Savior when we do as He would. I am grateful to have been a part of such pure humanity. Despite all the negative news stories we are bombarded with, this world is a good place, full of good people who want to do what is right.

6 comments:

Allison said...

That's the best Christmas story I've heard this year! Happy Holidays!

Andy Porter said...

What a great story to tell on Christmas eve. Thanks for sharing that. Of course I cried too just reading it. There are some really wonderful people in this world.

Abby Marie said...

wow! that is so neat!

Julie Smith said...

Hi Sarah,

I'm adding you to blogs I'm following. :) If yuo want to check my new one out it's thesevensmiths.blogspot.com

McEntire Family said...

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story! I cried as I read it and it helped remind me I need to be more willing to help those around me!

Zaehringers said...

Thank you for sharing your story. I wish I would have read it sooner.