
Today is my dad’s birthday. He works at BYU as Associate Dean of the College of Life Sciences. Realizing the other day that my dad’s birthday was coming up, I started remembering a few things about him.
Before I turned 16 my dad took me to the school parking lot to teach me how to drive. I was learning on a car with a clutch and was having a difficult time. I couldn’t even get the car moving and it made a funny noise. My dad tried his hardest to figure out what I was doing wrong so he could help me learn, but to no avail. I remember him saying, “I’ve tried to make the car make the same noise you do, but I just can’t!” Getting desperate and thinking that if I understood the science of motion perhaps it would help me be a better driver he began a lesson on inertia. Obviously his brain and mine were not on the same wave length. I still do not know the specifics of inertia, but I can drive a car. My dad was very patient, and my next lesson was on a car without a stick shift. I knew immediately what my problem with the clutch was. I didn’t realize what little pressure you have to put on the gas pedal to get the car moving! I was practically flooring the gas as I tried to put the car in gear. We still laugh about inertia.
My dad came to almost every one of my field hockey games. He drove me to my friend’s houses even though they lived far away from us. When one of the cars was in the shop he took the city bus to work and let us drive the car to school. He played games with us almost every Sunday. I still love to play “Pig Mania” with my kids. He made pancakes every Saturday. I loved going into his office and talking to him and getting advice while I was a student at BYU. Last summer I got to run a half-marathon with him and my sisters and sister-in-law. He is an animal and has run many marathons (7?).

I'm so lucky to have him as my dad and the grandpa to my kids. Happy Birthday Dad! We love you!
Before I turned 16 my dad took me to the school parking lot to teach me how to drive. I was learning on a car with a clutch and was having a difficult time. I couldn’t even get the car moving and it made a funny noise. My dad tried his hardest to figure out what I was doing wrong so he could help me learn, but to no avail. I remember him saying, “I’ve tried to make the car make the same noise you do, but I just can’t!” Getting desperate and thinking that if I understood the science of motion perhaps it would help me be a better driver he began a lesson on inertia. Obviously his brain and mine were not on the same wave length. I still do not know the specifics of inertia, but I can drive a car. My dad was very patient, and my next lesson was on a car without a stick shift. I knew immediately what my problem with the clutch was. I didn’t realize what little pressure you have to put on the gas pedal to get the car moving! I was practically flooring the gas as I tried to put the car in gear. We still laugh about inertia.
My dad came to almost every one of my field hockey games. He drove me to my friend’s houses even though they lived far away from us. When one of the cars was in the shop he took the city bus to work and let us drive the car to school. He played games with us almost every Sunday. I still love to play “Pig Mania” with my kids. He made pancakes every Saturday. I loved going into his office and talking to him and getting advice while I was a student at BYU. Last summer I got to run a half-marathon with him and my sisters and sister-in-law. He is an animal and has run many marathons (7?).
I'm so lucky to have him as my dad and the grandpa to my kids. Happy Birthday Dad! We love you!
10 comments:
That is a really great pic of him. Happy B-day Jim!! I'm envious that your b-day is on the first day of spring. That is so cool. You are an incredible person and I love you!!! That was a good idea Sarah.
That was fun to read. I love your dad too! He is such a good example to all of us.
That was very fun to read about your Dad and see pictures of him!
I would have to agree with you at how awesome your Dad is. He has such a contagious smile, and is just always so patient and supportive. He has such a quiet strength about him. He honors his preisthood and it reflects in every aspect of his life. He is easy to love. I hope that he has a Happy Birthday! Thanks for making this post Sarah. Brother Porter, you are the the bestest Dad ever born on this day! LOL :)
Sarah- you are the favorite daughter I think, after this post. Dad! I swear I called you yesterday! I tried twice...once I could hear you and you couldn't hear me and when I called right back it was going to your voicemail. Man, Sarah's got me feeling so guilty.
Happy Birthday! I was doing a sharing time on Dad's a few weeks ago and told the story of when I got in an accident right after I got my permit and wanted to give up on driving, but you made me get right back in the car and drive you to KFC (on State Street!). What a good life lesson! I told the kids that was one way I knew you loved me...because you taught (teach) me. We are so lucky to have such a wise Dad. I love you!
Um, I'm pretty sure I'm the favorite daughter. I left him grapefruits and M&M's in his office...I'd say that's one step further than a blog tribute. :)
Oh, I love Brother Porter! I remember being at your house and he would always use that joke that if I needed to go to the bathroom it was a quarter. And the joke that when school was out he said that he called the school arranged for it to be open just for us. Or something like that. That was forever ago! Happy Birthday Brother P!
Valerie? You came to Provo and left stuff for him in his office? That would qualify you as the best.
I'm assuming that's Alisha who commented--I laughed hard. I totally forgot his bathroom joke. And, yes, he used to always say he called KCD and told them we would be going to school there for the day when all the public schools had the day off. He also made up a song about buckling your seatbelt, which Porter now sings every time we get in the car--he left a legacy for sure.
Sounds like a great dad. He raised a pretty great daughter after all!
Post a Comment