Saturday, March 7, 2009

An Outlet

Lately I have felt unsettled. Trying to explain it sounds funny--Scott thinks I'm weird (but he loves me anyway). It's like I've had creative energy bottled up inside aching to be discovered. I think I needed an escape from the mundane chores of life.

For quite sometime I've wanted to sew a bag for myself, but have never done it. I spent some time on the Internet looking for a bag I liked and came across a million tutorials from amazing people. I found a pattern I like and spent a couple nights sewing, and I love the way it turned out! I was reminded how much I like to sew (it's in my genes, you know--check out my mom).

Of course, the dilemma is what do you sew? The fabric I like is not cheap so it's not very economical to make clothes. You can only have so many bags (as Scott will attest to). I've made pillows and window treatments, but what else?

I came across three kitchen dishtowels at Target (in my favorite colors) on 75% off clearance...only $2.48! I bought them thinking I could use the fabric for this:


(Kaitlyn was taking these pictures for me. I didn't like the way I looked in any of them so had to make a silly face.)


I looked on the Internet again and found some things I liked about aprons and put them all together for this apron. I would prefer the ties be a little longer, but I was working with a limited amount of material..remember only three kitchen towels! The best thing about these projects is I figured out how to sew a zipper and gather material. It feels so good to have created something!

Kaitlyn and Brynn got the creative bug too. Kaitlyn used scraps of material to make a scarf. After she finished it I mentioned how quickly she got it done. She said she sewed half of it and then realized it would be much quicker to just use a glue gun so used it for the rest. Good thinking Kaitlyn!
Brynn spent a long time sewing many tiny pieces together to make a camera bag. When I was taking pictures she was not in the mood to show it off. She did an awesome job and I was very impressed.

15 comments:

McEntire Family said...

What a CUTE apron! Love the colors! You are creative and I admire you for your determination to make something from nothing - and it turns out wonderful. Maybe that part of me will return someday (not in the form of sewing, but in other ways).

Andy Porter said...

I love how your mind works. That is so SO cute!! Who would have thought to make that out of dishtowels?! I love how it turned out!!

Amanda said...

I totally love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks way too fancy to be made from dish towels.

You keep finding all these great ideas... I'm going to be copying everythign you do, you know!

Jacqueline said...

I love it! Now I'm feeling like I need to be more creative than a blog. But then I can't do those things without you Sarah!

Hannah said...

I cannot BELIEVE you made that out of DISHTOWELS! YOu have to give me the how to! Also, I want to see your bag...post some pictures!

Julie Smith said...

I love that apron. Will you teach me how to make it?

Sharee Gariety said...

Wow, Sarah! THat turned out awesome! Good job!

Jill Leckbee said...

Wow!! Sarah you are so awesome!! I can't believe that you made your apron out of dish towels!! You are an inspiration!!

Shantell said...

SARAH PORTER!!! I can't believe I tracked you down. I would love to catch-up, send me an email when you get a minute jstbkirk@comcast.net

Shantell Colledge

P.S. Love the apron, you are very talented.

Kathy said...

I can't believe how cute that apron is!!!! I can't even figure out how you did it. You are so awesome. Well done Sarah. Love you

Shannon E. said...

Darling Sarah! I love the apron, I've had the creative bug too, but need to find an outlet...and I didn't know purple was your favorite color...it's mine too!

Kim Breinholt said...

Great job! Kaitlyn is a girl after my own heart!!!

Brown Family said...

Hey great job on your apron! Too cute! Shantell called me the other day and we were talking about you. She said she was looking at your blog and your fam was so cute and you look great. Which of course I agreed and I said that you even look the same or even younger. How are you pulling that off? What ever you are doing you should sell your beauty tips, cause you look great!

Tyler and Lisa said...

Are you kidding me!!! Can you make me one??? That is SOOOO sticking cute. I bet you can start a little bus. with that. Or sell them at like boutiques!!! How fun!!!

The Watkins said...

You are good to get your unsettled-ness out. I need to let mine out more often. Very impressive apron. Scott may want you wearing that even after you've made dinner.