Saturday, May 30, 2009

Prolific

Prolific: Fertile, producing offspring or fruit in great abundance—applied to plants producing fruit, animals producing young, etc

A perfect definition to describe what's been going on in our yard. Scott's words to the young men summed it up (the Bishop related this to me).

"Kitten's were born under my air-conditioning unit. Bunnies were born under my lettuce plants. Pigeons are nesting on my roof, and Sarah is pregnant."

It has been an exciting couple of weeks with all the wild-life producing around us. The kids love every minute of a new discovery, and it makes me laugh that our tiny backyard has been the choice spot for so many mothers.

It has also been a bit disconcerting. I have no compassion for the pigeons who leave droppings all over our house and barrage our roof with their garbage. The kittens were so cute, but their home was the spot where the air-conditioning unit connected to the house. I could hear noises in the walls when they were about. It couldn't be good. I was also afraid the mom would lash out at our kids if they tried to pick up a baby, which I knew they would if there was any possible way. Scott got fed-up with the extra offspring around here and sprayed vinegar all around where the cats had made their home. We haven't seen that little family since.

We're still fighting the pigeons. That one is never-ending.

The bunnies are a story all their own. More to come on that.

4 comments:

Adrienne said...

Oh, we had a bird brothel in our dryer duct. Seriously disturbing. And THEN, I saw that papa bird had decided to make an honest woman out of his lady friend, and was bringing in nest making materials. I never thought I'd be one of "those wives", but the minute Derek walked in the door, I said, "those birds have GOT TO GO!" and a couple of trips to lowe's and walmart later, and in our finest Bob the Builder form, we drilled a mesh thing over our duct. No more pervy birds!! So, um, I knew you wanted to hear all that, and and best of luck with your sicko pigeons. :)

Christy Burton said...

Oh, kittens! Tell me if you see them or the mama again and I'll trap her and get her fixed. Except she'll need to nurse maybe 6-8 weeks so I wouldn't do it too soon. But seriously, if you ever have a wild cat around, let me know!

Hannah said...

I didn't know that was the definition of prolific.

Russell said...

I highly recommend a paintball gun for the pigeons. The paint splatter can't be worse than the pigeon crap.