Sunday, November 8, 2009

Forgotten!

Scott took the kids swimming at his work last week. I appreciate when he does this. The kids love it, and it gives me a chance to get other things done while they are gone. I'm always a little uneasy though until they are home safely. Kaitlyn and Brynn are great swimmers, but Jared and Ellie need constant supervision. Scott is a great dad, but sometimes when you're not used to dragging four kids along you don't realize the effort it takes to keep track of everyone. And keeping track of everyone at the pool is essential.

So, when they all arrived safely home I breathed a sigh of relief. Then I heard the story of the forgotten little girl. Another family joined our crew this time so there were more kids than usual as they clamored out of the cars and rode the elevator to the swimming pool. Luckily this is as far as they got when Scott realized there was no Ellie around. He quickly turned around and rode back down to find Ellie crying, still in the van. Someone had unbuckled her already, but she didn't make it out of the van before the doors shut on her. When I asked her what she did she told me she honked the horn. I don't know whether that is true or not, but Scott did say she was sitting in the drivers seat.

Apparently Ellie has not completely forgiven Scott for this mistake. Several times she has brought up the fact that "Daddy, forgot Ellie!" I'm just grateful he remembered her so quickly after she was forgotten!

4 comments:

Kathy said...

What a riot. Remember how often we lost Hannah? It's so easy to do when there is a herd of kids to keep track of.

Russell said...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. I was going to get after you for doubting that a father could take care of his kids just fine, but apparently your concern was well justified.

I hope Betsy never makes me take all the kids somewhere alone.

Gaylynn said...

I will be right over with his "Father of the Year" award and I'll show you my "Mother of the Year" I got last week for forgetting to pick up Leanne from Activity Days.

Hannah said...

Oh, how I feel for Ellie! It hurts to feel forgotten. :) I don't know how I missed this post, but it's funny and I'm glad he got her quickly and safe. Oh! And I'm just Sure that your baby will come soon!