Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Child's Prayer

Jared's obsession with "good guy vs. bad guy" became more apparent tonight. As part of our bedtime routine I read to Jared from his choice "A Light in the Attic" by Shel Silverstein. He loves to hear these poems and can remember from the pictures what each one is about. After our reading Jared said his prayers as I listened. He remained quiet for a few seconds after his prayer and then we had a precious conversation.

Jared: Mom, Heavenly Father answers our prayers.

Mom: You're right Jared, I know Heavenly Father answers our prayers. He will answer your prayers if you pray because you're sad or scared, and He will comfort you. He will answer you if you pray and ask Him if the Book of Mormon is true.

Jared: Yeah, and like if bad guys have you then you can pray to Heavenly Father and then He'll send good guys to come with a sword and push down the bad guys and then you can run away.

Mom: That's right Jared. If you have faith and ask Heavenly Father He will answer all sorts of prayers.

It's true, Heavenly Father can do all things--even rescue you from bad guys.

2 comments:

Andy's Appetite said...

How precious!

Valerie said...

I love seeing the world like children do. I love reading about your kids and picturing what their personalities are like. Jared says and does the cutest things. I think we would get along.