The same day they caught the praying mantis they caught a little baby lizard. Kaitlyn is so quick with the baby lizards and doesn't even flinch when she gets hold of them. The kids got a big bucket that we've used for other lizard finds and put both the lizard and praying mantis together. The lizard buried itself in the sand at the bottom of the bucket and the praying matis perched on the twig and leaves the kids got for it.
The only problem? A couple days later I learned something the hard way. Did you know praying mantis are carniverous insects! They don't like the leaves we put in there for it, instead they like to feed on beetles, spiders, grashoppers and small vertebrates like you guessed it...baby lizards! I didn't believe Kaitlyn when she told me the praying mantis ate the lizard, but the dead remains were proof to us all. Oops! It was a simple mistake. When it was all said and done, Brynn commented that she had been worried about having both the praying mantis and the lizard in the bucket together, but she was more worried for the safety of the praying mantis.
The only problem? A couple days later I learned something the hard way. Did you know praying mantis are carniverous insects! They don't like the leaves we put in there for it, instead they like to feed on beetles, spiders, grashoppers and small vertebrates like you guessed it...baby lizards! I didn't believe Kaitlyn when she told me the praying mantis ate the lizard, but the dead remains were proof to us all. Oops! It was a simple mistake. When it was all said and done, Brynn commented that she had been worried about having both the praying mantis and the lizard in the bucket together, but she was more worried for the safety of the praying mantis.
3 comments:
Poor little lizard. I had no idea. I think it's great that your kids like to catch bugs. They are so brave. Congrats to Brynn for losing her first tooth. Joe is being funny about that, but it's too hard to explain.
We love you and wish you lived closer! One of these years we'll have to come and enjoy the balloons with ya'll.
making eye contact with bugs is DEFINITELY not a good idea. Especially the ones with huge eyeballs so if you do make eye contact will probably get eye juice all over you...kind of like lily.
Wow, I never would have guessed that it'd eat a whole lizard!
Post a Comment