Tuesday, November 8, 2011

First Day of School - August

I wrote the following in my journal after the first day of school:


The mornings have become a bit darker, and sometimes there has even been a slight chill to the early morning air.  The kids have begun to fight more to spell off boredom, and my patience for the constant business of five children and all the messes imbued throughout indicated only one thing—school would be starting soon.  I knew it was time—the kids knew it was time.  We were all looking forward to it. 

So why do I always feel a tinge of sorrow when it finally comes?

A new school year proves the passing of time—one year older for everyone.  This year marks Kaitlyn’s last hurrah in elementary school—have I really already had that many “first days of school” with her?  It happened way too fast.  Kailtyn and Brynn are old pros and don’t look back after the first school bell since May rings.  Jared is more timid and unsure and catches my eye again and again as his teacher leads his line into the school and up to his classroom.  I can tell he is fighting to hold his composure, and truthfully, so am I.

I fight back tears every year.  I wonder if my kids know how much I think about them during the day.  Do they know I rejoice at their victories?  Do they know my heart aches when I see them struggle?  Do they know I pray for their happiness and success?  Do they know how proud I feel when I watch them try their hardest? 

I met the kids at the bus stop after the first day and all three seemed to be bursting with excitement to tell me all the fun things about their class and teachers.  I’m grateful for amazing teachers, a great school and good friends for my kids.  









Update:  It didn't take long for us to all adjust to the school routine.  I am grateful for such responsible kids who always try their best.  Everyone is excelling, and I feel grateful for a wonderful school and teachers that are helping shape my children.  

No comments: